Children and adolescents can suffer from a wide variety of mental, behavioral, and/or emotional disorders and can experience these disorders at varying levels of severity. For families with children and adolescents who suffer from mental illness and psychiatric disorders, specialized treatment that is delivered at a well-established mental health hospital with skilled and experienced clinicians is essential.
As Macomb County’s only inpatient psychiatric hospital for children and adolescents, Harbor Oaks Hospital feels privileged to be able to provide treatment for youth between the ages of 4 and 17 in our community who are in need of psychiatric services. All children and adolescents presented to Harbor Oaks for care will receive an individualized treatment plan that is implemented under the direct supervision of our medical director. Furthermore, it is especially important that the family be involved in any child’s treatment program, so Harbor Oaks staff works closely with family members to facilitate treatment.
Programming for our child and adolescent inpatient program is based on a therapeutic group format that is tailored to meet the skills and needs sets of each age-specific population. Some of the more specific components of our child and adolescent inpatient program may include:
- Daily groups that include various topics, such as medication education, health maintenance, and substance abuse education
- Onsite internist to attend to the medical needs of our young patients
- Individual therapy sessions on an as-needed basis
- Daily contact with family members
- Assessments which are completed with social workers
- Medication management, which includes seeing a psychiatrist on a daily basis
- Activity therapy including art therapy, pet therapy with dogs, and gym
- A teacher on staff to help children and adolescents address their educational needs throughout the treatment process
At Harbor Oaks, we are proud of highly qualified staff who is able to assist children and adolescents who are faced with the challenges that accompany a number of different concerns. Some the most common disorders that we see in children and adolescents who come to Harbor Oaks include:
- Bipolar disorder
- Autism spectrum disorder
- Attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder (ADHD)
- Learning disorders
- Conduct disorders
Whatever mental health concerns your child may be facing, the wonderful staff at Harbor Oaks is dedicated to providing him or her with the most effective treatment available that will set the stage for life-long recovery.