Harbor Oaks Hospital is proud to provide specialized inpatient psychiatric programming for older adults who are aged 55 and older. By tailoring programming to meet the needs of various populations, we are able to offer more individualized care in the comprehensive treatment provided.
All patients who present to Harbor Oaks will receive an individualized plan of care that is provided by a compassionate, expert team of medical and mental health professionals. We dedicate ourselves to meeting the individualized needs of those who are in crisis by assessing any and all presenting concerns in order to help patients stabilize and begin preparing for appropriate aftercare treatment.
Programming on the older adult psychiatric inpatient unit is age-specific, meaning that the didactic groups that are implemented on this unit will be different than those that are offered on our other units. Furthermore, reality-oriented groups are offered in our older adult inpatient program for patients who are struggling with dementia and/or other cognitive concerns.
The various group therapy sessions that patients take part in during programming on this unit cover a wide array of topics, of which can include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Skills groups that are based on an approach that is founded in dialectical behavioral therapy
- Nursing groups
- Medication education
- Health maintenance
- Education on psychiatric disorders
- Education on substance use disorders
Other aspects of treatment that are offered in our older adult inpatient program are tailored to meet each patient’s unique needs and skill set. This myriad of options may include, but are not limited to:
- Individual therapy sessions that occur on an as-needed basis
- Pertinent assessments with social workers
- Medication management – Patients will meet with a psychiatrist daily and will be seen by a doctor at the time of their initial evaluation. If further medical attention is required, patients have the opportunity to meet with the doctor for follow-up appointments.
- Activity therapy, of which includes art therapy, pet therapy, and gym
While family therapy is not a part of programming in our older adult inpatient unit, family meetings do occur in order for discharge planning to be completed.