Our inpatient program for older adults provides 24/7 treatment for those age 55 and older. If you or a loved one is in need of psychiatric care, we can help.
What Is Inpatient Treatment?
Behavioral and psychiatric inpatient treatment
Inpatient treatment provides 24/7 supervision. It is our most acute level of care. It is short-term in nature, as the goal is to stabilize patients who are in crisis. Upon completion of inpatient treatment, many clients step down to a level of care that is less acute.
What Disorders Does This Program Treat?
Disorders treated in the older adult inpatient treatment program at Harbor Oaks Hospital
Programming on the older adult psychiatric inpatient unit is age-specific, meaning that the didactic groups that are implemented on this unit will be different than those that are offered on our other units. Furthermore, reality-oriented groups are offered in our older adult inpatient program for patients who are struggling with dementia and/or other cognitive concerns.
What Is a Typical Day Like?
A typical day in the older adult inpatient treatment program at Harbor Oaks Hospital in New Baltimore, MI
The various group therapy sessions that patients take part in during inpatient programming on this unit cover a wide array of topics, of which can include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Skills groups that are based on an approach that is founded in dialectical behavioral therapy
- Nursing groups
- Medication education
- Health maintenance
- Education on psychiatric disorders
- Education on substance use disorders
Other aspects of the inpatient treatment program that are offered in our older adult inpatient program are tailored to meet each patient’s unique needs and skill set. This myriad of options may include, but are not limited to:
- Individual therapy sessions that occur on an as-needed basis
- Pertinent assessments with social workers
- Medication management – Patients will meet with a psychiatrist daily and will be seen by a doctor at the time of their initial evaluation. If further medical attention is required, patients have the opportunity to meet with the doctor for follow-up appointments.
- Activity therapy, of which includes art therapy, pet therapy, and gym
Can I Be Involved in My Loved One's Treatment?
Involvement of family and loved ones in Harbor Oaks Hospital’s older adult inpatient program
While family therapy is not a part of programming in our older adult inpatient unit in New Baltimore, MI, family meetings do occur in order for discharge planning to be completed.